Monday, November 15, 2010

Worst MLB trades in the last 25 years

Hey all, I know it's been a while.

On the heels of the news that the Florida Marlins have traded Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller for three minor league relief pitchers in two separate deals, I had to post a comment.

This brings one of the worst trades I can remember full-circle: Miguel Cabrera (best Marlin ever) and Dontrelle Willis (one of the best Marlins pitchers ever) for Maybin and Miller.

For a fervent Marlins fan like me, this is the worst trade in the last 25 years.

So, knowing the boys over at the rotojunkie.com forums, I challenged them to come up with worse trades than this one in the last 25 years. I knew they would come up with some doozies:

My post: “So I'm gonna go ahead and call the Miggy Cabrera/Dontrelle Willis for Andrew Miller/Cameron Maybin the worst trade in the last 25 years in baseball.

Prove me wrong.”

The responses:

  1. Bobby Abreu for Kevin Stocker
  2. Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano
  3. A.J. Pierzynski for Joe Nathan, Boof Bonser and Francisco Liriano
  4. Jeff Bagwell for Larry Andersen
  5. Mark McGwire for Eric Ludwick, T.J. Mathews and Blake Stein
  6. Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps
  7. Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew for Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore and Lee Stevens
  8. Sammy Sosa, Scott Fletcher & Wilson Alvarez for Harold Baines
  9. Curt Schilling, Steve Finley & Pete Harnisch for Glenn Davis
  10. Curt Schilling for Jason Grimsley

Personally, I'd say #5 and #7 are the most egregious. Still, no trade breaks my heart more than the Miggy Cabrera deal.

So go ahead baseball fans.....PROVE ME WRONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment