Tuesday, March 9, 2010

BIG TRADE

I normally wouldn't post another in the same day.....but a big deal just went down between me and the second-place team and I just got shit about it on the message board.

But the conclusion for me is this: I just gave myself a chance.

Here's the deal: Steve Nash, Lamar Odom and Jason Thompson (throw-in) for Jameer Nelson, Kevin Love and Tyrus Thomas. I know, you are thinking: "Well yeah, you probably should have gotten shit for it on the message board!"

However, before you jump to any conclusions, let me explain my number-one rule of fantasy sports: Names mean nothing. Sure, Steve Nash is easily the best player in the deal, but let's examine what it does for both teams, shall we?

The team receiving Nash already has an 8 out of 10 (roto points) in assists. Essentially, this move for him was the effort of a team with 55-57 points trying to get to 57-59. He can only move up 2 points in assists, and he has got to catch my team (which has benefitted from Nash's assists all season long), and he also has to pass a team full of PGs, including Curry, Paul/Collison, Ellis and more. The deal makes sense because he replaces Love with essentially the same player in Odom, and he still gets the chance to move into the 60-point range and compete for the title.

My team is stuck in the 50-52 point range. I have already maximized Nash by leading the league by a good margin in assists; therefore, I HAD to trade him to pick up points where I am lacking. Tony Parker's injury and the trade deadline of Wednesday made this much more difficult -- now I had to get a PG back to fill the hole left by Nash. So, I get Jameer Nelson, who has been playing very well lately and is averaging 7 assists to play at PG, and he offsets some of the 12 assists I lose with Nash. Nelson, Kevin Love and Tyrus Thomas together will vastly increase my rebounds, blocks, steals, points and FG% potential for the final 20 games. I can see moving up a few points in each of these categories, while maintaining a 9 or 10 in assists.

That means I can now also move into the elite 60-point range by the end of the season, and now I have a chance to finish in the money. That's not to say the other 4 teams in the top 5 dont have the same chance -- but before this deal, I had no chance at all.

1 comment:

  1. Paulito:
    I don't just look at names either. Nash has been top 5 all year and you traded him for 2 players outside the top 50 on Espn's player rater. I like Nelson, and Love for that matter, but Nash was worth more. Sure, there are only 20 games left and anything can happen but Nash is just too good to trade for what you got IMO. I know he has been hurt and his #'s are down the last 3 weeks, but still.
    I respect the gamble, but I don't think it will payoff.
    Hey, you could prove to be a genius...not likely.

    ReplyDelete