Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Time to Eat Some Crow...


Just to show you all that I'm not 100% baseball guru, here are six things I have been absolutely wrong about on this blog so far:

1. Stephen Strasburg. OK, I know it was the Pirates (and will be Cleveland next), but even the BEST pitchers dont record 14 strikeouts in their first Major League outing. Holy cow! Here are the reasons I didn't like him: He is playing for the Nats....and, well....uhhhh.....that's it. Big Mistake on my part, but it's not like I would have drafted him over Heyward anyway. This guy could win the Cy Young Award (and just like Jaime Garcia) would still not win Rookie of the Year.

2. Mike Stanton. I was convinced he would not see the Majors until next season. Had I known he would make his debut on June 8 (and get two hits to boot), I would have grabbed him without question in the draft (or soon thereafter, as he was an undrafted FA in the UPL).

3. Kendry Morales. I was correct about Kendry -- that he would post the same or better numbers than Adrian Gonzalez this season -- until the idiot broke his leg.

4. Aroldis Chapman. I was so convinced that the Cuban phenom would be fireballing in the Majors by June. I was so convinced, in fact, that I drafted him in my redraft league, intent on using him in the second half to carry me to the top; and I rated him #2 on my UPL draft board. Well, Aroldis isn't exactly dominating AAA right now, let alone the Majors. He may still come up this year, but Strasburg is the one who is doing what I thought Aroldis would.

5. Andy Pettitte. I really gave someone the business for drafting Pettitte ahead of Wade Davis. And while Davis will unquestionably provide the greater long-term value, good old Andy has posted this line so far: 7-1 with a 2.46 ERA. Wow.

6. The San Diego Padres. When looking over the odds to win the AL and NL pennants, I didn't give a second look to the Fathers. They had no talent outside of Adrian Gonzalez, and their starting pitching looked horrible. No way this team can win even 70 games. No way........ahem...cough...cough....ummmmm they dont stop winning. They lead the NL West (Edit-- they just fell a half game back of the Dodgers after losing in extra innings to the Mutts last night). And David Eckstein might be carrying these guys to the pennant. YIKES!

1 comment:

  1. Heheh. Glad to see you're keeping yourself honest. I'm kicking myself for not picking up Stanton... wish I had noticed him sooner.

    ReplyDelete