Friday, February 12, 2010

The Tigers and ChiSox definitely did Atlanta a favor -- re:Johnny Damon


Let me start by saying that I am a fan of Johnny Damon. He has been on my fantasy baseball team for two straight years (one of which I was champion and the other I came in 4th place). While he is streaky, he definitely delivered the goods last season (Thank you new Yankee Stadium!)

I live in Atlanta, and the Braves recently made a push for Damon, who, in my opinion, would be a terrible fit with the team. For one, the fence in right at Turner Field is quite a bit further away than Johnny has probably gotten used to lately.

The Braves recently dealt Javier Vazquez away for two good pitching prospects and Melky Cabrera. The Braves already have Nate McLouth and phenom Jason Heyward in the OF. This all makes the desire for Damon questionable from the Braves' standpoint. McLouth can thrive as a leadoff hitter, and he has the speed to do it. Cabrera is a much better fielder that Damon could ever hope to be.

All Damon brings to the table is an "attitude" -- but with Chipper, McCann and some of the other veteran Braves, I'm not sure this is necessary. Plus, I heard that Chipper personally called Damon to "seal the deal" (sound familiar? Ken Griffey last year, anyone?).

In any case, it appears Scott Boras has done his job and created an inter-divisional bidding war for Damon with the ChiSox and the Tigers -- essentially removing the Braves from the equation. All you Braves fans (of which I am assuredly NOT) should be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment